Just another of them shocking and stupid examples of US law inforcement..
The House Judiciary Committee passed a bill yesterday that would make it a federal crime for U.S. residents to discuss or plan activities on foreign soil that, if carried out in the U.S., would violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) — even if the planned activities are legal in the countries w… read article for full story.
What does this mean?
- “Under this bill, if a young couple plans a wedding in Amsterdam, and as part of the wedding, they plan to buy the bridal party some marijuana, they would be subject to prosecution,” said Bill Piper, director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance, which advocates for reforming the country’s drug laws. “The strange thing is that the purchase of and smoking the marijuana while you’re there wouldn’t be illegal. But this law would make planning the wedding from the U.S. a federal crime.”
- A U.S. doctor who works with overseas doctors or government officials on needle exchange programs could be subject to criminal prosecution.
- A U.S. resident who advises someone in another country on how to grow marijuana or how to run a medical marijuana dispensary would also be in violation of the new law, even if medical marijuana is legal in the country where the recipient of the advice resides
- and so on…
However, this is not the only stupid american law that exists. there are countless laws that … to put it mildly, are really, really stupid. Some of them are so outdated that it is amazing they are still in the books.
I have gathered a few nice examples here:
- ALABAMA – Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.
- CALIFORNIA – In L.A. it is against the law to complain through the mail that a hotel has cockroaches, even if it is true.
- FLORIDA – A special law prohibits unmarried women (whether single, divorced or widowed) from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
- FLORIDA – If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
- IDAHO – It is illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.
- IDAHO – Fishing from the back of any animal is illegal.
- KENTUCKY – Anyone who has been drinking is “sober” until he or she”cannot hold onto the ground.”
- KENTUCKY – “No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she be escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club.”
An amendment to the above legislation: “The provisions of this statute shall not apply to females weighing less than 90 pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds, nor shall it apply to female horses.”
- MARYLAND – In Baltimore its illegal to take a lion to the movies.
- NEBRASKA – A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church service.
- NEVADA – It is illegal to drive a camel on the highway
- NEW JERSEY – It is illegal to raise chicken in bottles
- ALABAMA – You are not allowed to chain your alligator to a fire hydrant.
- DELAWARE – You may not sell dead people for money without a license.
- GEORGIA – In Atlanta, it is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
- ALASKA – It is considered an offense to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.
- ALASKA – Kangaroos are not allowed in barber shops at any time.
- TEXAS – It’s legal for a chicken to have sex with you, but it’s illegal to reciprocate.
- TEXAS – It is illegal for a person to shoot a buffalo from the second story of their hotel.
- TEXAS – It is legal to commit a homicide as long as you tell the person when, and how you are going to kill them.
- TEXAS – You can be legally married by publicly introducing a person as your husband or wife 3 times.
- CALIFORNIA – It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
Where to find more stupid american (and other) laws: